CAREERS AND JOBS
Inspire Development through Action and Adventure
Good news! Visa applications are now possible again and travel restrictions have been lifted. If you are applying from abroad, now is the perfect time to begin your China adventure.
Develop your Outdoor Career with Imagine in China!
Imagine is one of the fastest-growing, most widely loved outdoor education brands in China, with an exciting range of outdoor adventure camps and trips around the Beijing region and all around the country.
Imagine trips and activities are loved for their reliable, safe, exciting and quirky style, that never disappoints.
Working with Imagine is truly an adventure that will Open Your World. If you share our passion and fit any of the following profiles, come join the family!
Bushcraft and Outdoor Activity Leader - Beijing, Full time, Summer Season
Lead a range of activities with a bushcraft focus in a beautiful forest area on the outskirts of Beijing this Summer.
If you are put in a forest with tools, ropes and tarps, are you the kind of person who can Imagine and create all kinds of things using the natural materials around you? This position is ideal for people who still have inside them a childish love of playing around with wood and building things. If you spent your childhood building treehouses, dens, go-karts, rafts, catapults, traps and bows and arrows, you are well on your way to being the right candidate!
From late June to late August, your weekly routine will usually be leading activities Monday to Friday on our Summer Camps. These generally take place in a beautiful forest park with a river and mountainous scenery, 1.5 hrs from Beijing. The kids are aged 7-14 and speak English. The activities are centred around bushcraft and classic camping/outdoor skills (making fires etc), punctuated by a range of other activities such as watersports, hiking etc.
On some weeks, you will be out on a different type of camp, further away, leading groups around activities such as mountain biking, horse-riding and rock climbing. You do not directly lead all these activities but priority goes to candidates who have skills in at least one of them.
20,000-25,000 RMB per month
Comprised of base salary, free accommodation and extra for instructing days
Work dates: Late May/early June to late September 2023.
We sponsor a work visa for China and guide you through the process.
Accommodation is provided – a private room in a shared apartment in Beijing city as a base, plus a shared room whenever out on the camps (and sometimes camping).
Whenever camps are not going on, work days will be spent in Beijing city, doing background admin, preparations, marketing, etc for the camps. Sometimes you will also get involved in the sales process by communicating with school teachers in the lead up to school trips. There will also be training and recce days out in the field. In the beginning you will receive training, and later you will train newer/temporary instructors.
As you gain experience, you will also contribute to the design and development of curriculums, itineraries, safety systems and new activity ideas.
Other key requirements:
- A bachelors degree (for the visa)
- 2+ years since graduation (for the visa)
- Native or near-native spoken and written English
- Experience working with kids aged 7-14
- Fun, positive, sociable and energetic character
- Great at leading groups
- Strong sense of safety and responsibility
- Availability for the whole summer
- Experience in outdoor education/instructing
- Reasonable computer skills and your own laptop
- Passion for bushcraft/survival skills and a range of adventure activities
- Confident at swimming, riding a bike, making campfires, tying knots and using tools
- Passion for facilitating the growth and development of youth through outdoor experiences
Priority given if you also have:
- As many qualifications as possible in the outdoor industry, for example:
- First aid/wilderness first aid
- Life guard/water rescue
- Instructor qualifications for climbing, mountain biking, horse riding, archery, bushcraft, mountain leader, DofE Adventourous journey leader etc
- Some Mandarin Chinese language skills or enthusiasm to learn
- Interest in staying in China longer (e.g. family, friends or partner living there, or a general desire to live there long-term)
If interested in this role, please send your CV to:
Part Time Instructor (various) - if you are already in China
Already in one of our active locations? You may be able to join us for flexible part time outdoor instructor work.
At least two of the following:
- Outdoor bushcraft/survival skills or military/scouting experience
- Experience working with kids on camps, birthday parties and physical activities.
- Ski/Snowboard instructor qualification
- Parkour skills
- Climbing instructor qualifications
- Experience leading team-building games
- Experience coaching sports
- Watersports/lifeguard qualifications/experience
- First-aid trained
- Native or fluent English
You don’t have to be able to do everything at first, and for many of these activities, we can train you.
Part-time work pay varies depending on abilities, experience, and type of activity.
Other working arrangements and partnerships
We often like to fit roles around specific strengths of individuals. For example, if you are able to design and run entire programmes or activities of a new type or in a new destination, you could be given the project to create and operate these programmes to add to our range. This can be as a part time and flexible project manager, a B2B cooperation, or full time, depending on the situation. Remote work is becoming more and more viable as an arrangement too, so many roles can be set up in a partially location-independent way.